- Member of grand jury talks to friend about the case. Says there “isn’t enough evidence at this point to warrant an arrest” (storify) STL Co. Court is aware of the situation and is investigating.
- Recap of second set of Ferguson Town Hall Meetings
- In Ferguson, protesters and police forced to learn as they go amid continued standoff
- Officers non-compliant with DOJ order to wear IDs (1) (2)
- Whites more likely to deal drugs, blacks more likely to be arrested
- Ferguson PR Devin James, (the one who was convicted of reckless homicide) lied about having a college degree
- STL Co. Economic Development Partnership defends initial decision to hire Devin James. Steve Stenger says that the contract was a waste of taxpayer funds.
- Steve Stenger releases campaign ad addressing Ferguson. But remember when…. (1) (2) (3) (STL Co. Council Meeting Sept. 16 storify)
- Old information: Mike Brown - Facts and dog whistles (storify)
- Regarding the murder of Mike Brown, no police report has been filed yet because the PD is “still investigating”. Report won’t be made available until after case is closed. (storify)
- Shaun King, Marc Lamont Hill, and Kevin Jackson CNN interview (video)
- Ferguson officials aren’t telling you what happened to Mike Brown
- Woman who was hog tied by police shares her story (video)
- Umar Lee urges STL Co. to condemn police violence (video)
- “I am Mike Brown”
- STL to forgive about 220,000 warrants for nonviolent municipal offenses
- Brown family and prosecutor are not on the same page
October “Toby” Daye was in many ways my first “real” protagonist. She was complicated, she was sad, she was bruised and refusing to break, and she was not afraid to put her duty ahead of her desire to be liked. She bullied her way through the world she was created to inhabit, looking at every complication that stood in her way and saying “No, you move.” After a lifetime spent moving dolls through stories, it was like I finally had a real person to follow and document. I started writing her adventures, and sending them out to people I trusted to read and review. Midway through either the second or the third book—I don’t remember anymore—I got a note from one of my proofers saying “You can’t have Toby do this, she’s always been a little bitchy, but this makes her a total bitch. No one will like her if she does this.”
I panicked. I couldn’t write a series about an unlikeable character! I’d never get published, no one else would ever meet my imaginary friends, and everything I’d worked for my whole life would be over, all because Toby was unlikeable.
Then I took a deep breath, and wrote back to the proofer requesting that they do a find/replace on the .doc, and plug in the name “Harry Dresden” for every instance of “October Daye.” They did, and lo and behold, what had been “bitchy” and “inappropriate” was suddenly “bold” and “assertive.” A male character in the same situation, with the same background, taking the same actions, was completely in the right, justified, and draped with glory. He was a hero. Toby? Toby was an unlikeable bitch.
The proofer withdrew the compliant. I have never forgotten it.
decode their text messages for “txt speak” slang used by SKELETONS
- LOL - lots of legbones
- SMH - skeletons murdering humans
- FYI - forget your insides! (and become a skeleton)
- WTF - waxing the fibula
- OMG - outta my grave
- FFS - for friendly skeletons
As a skeleton I can confirm these are accurate. October is here — never forget that each and every one of you has a skeleton within!
this is exactly what i dealt with in school. being the angry black girl who just so happened to not have a real reason to be mad at all of the racist, sexist, homophobic bullshit that was going on around me..i was just angry for nothing…